Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Pearl Harbor 41

This AAR is based on the sets of single missions created by Major Dragon (you can find the original announcement of the missions at simHQ here.

This AAR deals with the mission “P-40s Defend Pearl Harbor 2”. I only added some scenery to make the environment more lively.

SPOILER WARNING: I suggest you quit reading this AAR if you still want to fly Major Dragon's mission, otherwise some mission details might be revealed.


All is quite at Belows field. Most pilots are still in bed, while my flight prepares for an early morning patrol. I'll be flying tail-end Charlie. We taxi our planes to the start of the runway.

Suddenly explosions rake through the airfield, blasting apart a hangar and nearby aircraft. My first thoughts is that some mechanic fouled up and created a fire.


A white shadows soares overhead. I recognize the red sun painted on its wings. The Japanese are attacking us!


Clouds of dust appear around the P-40 in front of me, we are singled out by some Zeros.


Ground crews quickly come to our rescue, grabbing machine guns and firing with everything they've got to the Zeros buzzing around the airfield.


It's too late, the P-40 in front of me bursts into flames. My wing-leader is able to take off, but I am stuck here behind the burning fighter.


I push the throttle and taxi around the burning wreck. I avoid looking at the body of my fellow-pilot, slumped forward in the cockpit.


I quickly take-off, retract the gear and pull the aircraft in a tight to shake off any Zero who might be heading for me. Zeros are everywhere, circling the airfield and strafing aircrafts and buildings.


I spot a single Zero, flying low above the ground after his strafing run. At first sight I think the pilot must be hurt and trying to crash land. But then he starts climbing.


I roll the aircraft over and quickly dive behind the Zero as he tries to climb to safety. I pull up on its tail, sending a blast with my machine guns. The Zero explodes in a ball of fire. Parts of the cockpit tumble towards the ground, but I have no time to savor my first kill, there are still plenty of Zeros buzzing around.


Another Zero has spotted me and pulls behind my tail. Bullets whiz by my cockpit as I violently twist through the sky


To shake off the Zero on my tail, I pull the P-40 into a hard loop. The Zero-pilot tries to follow me , but fails.


As I pull out of the loop, I spot another Zero making a run against some parked fighters.


I dive behind the zero, who turns away. We twist and turn at low altitude. If we go any lower we will hit the trees. The Zero jinks and twists and heads for the nearby mountains.


But I catch up with him near the ridge. My guns blast and dirt is kicked up around the Zero as he flies mere feet above the hill.


Was the pilot distracted by my bullets whizzing around his cockpit or did i mortally wound him? I don't know but the Zero slams into the mountainside.


A convoy that happened to pass by the airfield, also comes under attack of the marauding Zeros.


I shoot down my last Zero. The pilot manages to bail out, I am confident that the people below will have a warm welcome for the Japanese pilot.


The attack ends as abruptly as it started. Suddenly I spot no other planes anymore, beside the my wing-leader.


As I land I notice the burning buildings and wreckages around the airfield. The Japanese will have to pay for this cowardly attack.

The End