Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Hayates

This AAR is based on the campaign Hayates over Manchuria (link + download) by Poltava.


With Nazi Germany and Italy beaten, Japan remains the sole axis power still fighting. The Americans are slowly approaching the Japanese mainland and to make matters worse the Soviets have now also declared war on us. There have been numerous reports of Soviet troops approaching the boarder so this morning we will fly cover over our troops.

We quickly form up and head for our designated patrol area.

With the sun in our back we form a threat no one, even not the Soviets, will take lightly.

We soon arrive over our troops to watch a horrible scene. Smoke and flame erupt from our lines. The Soviets have started their attack.

There are the culprits, Soviet fighter-bombers.

I roll inverted, perform a split-S and dive towards the lead bomber.

But I completely misjudged my speed and overshoots the Soviet aircraft. Luckly for me the pilot does not decide to turn his heavy anti-tank tank guns on me.

Pulling hard on the stick I climb back above the bombers. I'll have to be more careful on my next approach.

In I go for my next attack run. Tracers erupt from the back of the bombers as they start firing at my wingmen who are also joining the fray.

this time i make sure I pull up behind the enemy fighter, giving myself ample time to spray it with shells and bullits.

I keep pouring shells into the aircraft but it just keeps lumbering on. I get so close to the enemy fighter that i nearly crash into it.

To my amazement, these Soviet aircraft can take a serious pounding. Any Japanese bomber would have turned into a giant fireball by now.

But there is no time to loose, already the next bomber appears in my sights. Again I close in fast, peppering the aircraft with gunfire. Debris of the bomber flings around my aircraft as I close the distance.

Again the aircraft withstands the beating, but this time its crew flinches. Both gunner and pilot elect to jump to safety. The aircraft might not be destroyed but at least it won't do much harm without a crew.

Another formation of bomber appears in my crosshairs. They shatter apart as i start firing away

This time I have more luck. As i spray my target with gunfire, a sudden flash appears in the left wing of the bomber. A small explosion, perhaps a fuel tanks ignited by my shells, tears apart the wing, sending the bomber in a deadly spiral to the ground. At least these bombers are not so invulnerable after all.

Its about time, because I just shot my last ammunition. Its time to head for home.

The damage to my fighter is superficial, but there are still some bullet holes in my canopy to remind me that these tail gunners do shoot back.

I gently put my fighter down. Taxiing from the runway, I signal the ground crew they should prepare my aircraft for another round. I won't stay long on the ground, because the Soviets might still send in a second wave.

Our flag waves in the early morning wind. I am proud of my country and my people. We will keep on fighting until those Soviet and American dogs are beaten.

The End